Thursday, September 3, 2009

Root, Root, Root for the Home Team or Be True to Your School

First things first, I was raised in the Kansas City suburbs. I am a graduate of Emporia State University and worked at Lamar Community College and the University of Arkansas. Let me just say that as a sports fan I have had some great reasons to cheer... and a long, long time to mourn the days that were.

The 1970 Super Bowl, Chiefs beat the Vikes. The 1985 World Series, it's the Royals over the cards. LCC in Lamar, Colorado and baseball coach Scott Crampton have had some great seasons over the past 15 years or so. Arkansas has won NCAA Championships in football (I have been walking almost as long), basketball, and over 30 track championships.

But especially with the Royals and the Griefs, being a fan is a mournful experience. So, can a fan divorce a team? I SAY NO! DON'T DO IT!

There are some Rick Reilly in ESPN the Magazine has offered some guidelines about shifting fan allegiance. There is even a web site where fans can demand Free Agency. As for me, I say dance with the one who brung you. If you have a favorite team in a sport, stick with it. Bandwagon jumping may feel good when you hitch your wagon to a star, but when it falls, you just look like a fairweather.

On a personal note, I do make some distinctions.

How can I root for both Emporia State and Arkansas. One is an NCAA D-I school and the other is a D-II school. I worked at both (either as a graduate assistant or as a professional) and took classes at both (BSB and MS at Emporia and worked on an EdD. at Arkansas). They will never play each other, especially for anything more than cash, so I see no conflict of rooting.

How about the community college I attended, Johnson County (KS) and LCC? Not only did I work at LCC, but I also did public address for the athletic department. Solid connection that I really enjoyed.

Finally, my most tenuous connection: I root for the Colorado Rockies in Major League Baseball as well as the Royals. My argument is easy; I lived in Colorado during the Rockies inaugural season. I was there to root for them from day one. But I want to make an important note here. If the Rocks played in the American League, as do the Royals, no question; dance with the one who brung you. I will always root for the Royals...even if they play the Rocks in the Series.

Not that's a delusional piece of dreamwork.

2 comments:

  1. I think Philly fans may have just cause to resign but, generally, I agree with you. Where I come from, there is the Big9+Minnesota--and that's from a conference that includes Northwestern. Sadly, the University of Minnesota still requires players to read and write at the 5th grade level if they want to retain eligibility. But, rooting for the Rockies? Oh, oh, oh, my....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Rocks. I was there and I think it's different when you were there for the birth...but...

    Rooting for the Rocks adds another little dig on Cardinal fans who see the Rockies as rivals. (This is far more true for the Rocks than for the Cards, let me be real about this.) This plays back to my sensibilities to the Royals and the '85 Series.

    ReplyDelete