Sunday, December 6, 2009

Carolyn Gaines

Miss Carolyn Gaines of Berryville, Arkansas died shortly after 3:00 pm on Thursday December 3, 2009. She was a child of God, a joy to be around, and an elder in the church. She will be missed.

I met Carolyn at First Presbyterian Church in Conway, Arkansas in June 2005. She came to the meeting of the Arkansas Presbytery where I was examined to become a Minister of Word and sacrament.

It was a wild day for me. Marie and I had just made it into town from central Missouri the day before. I was just getting done with my examination sermon and its bulletin for the meeting. I was so nervous since I was going to be asked questions by not only the committee, but by anyone else who had a question. I successfully navigated the storm, becoming one of the few (if not the only) candidates in the history of the Presbytery who made the assembly laugh during the exam.

Carolyn and her ride had to get going before the end of the meeting. Carolyn had tremendous circulatory problems, and the ride up and down from Berryville to Conway and back that day were causing havoc on her legs. Before they left, I got to say good bye. Carolyn hugged me and said, "I love you, darling." I said, "I love you too."

That was the moment I became a pastor.

Miss you Carolyn. God bless you as you sing and dance for our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment