Saturday, July 11, 2009

Yes, Another Gopher Story

Believe it or not, I actually have another gopher story from Lamar. One summer day nearly 20 years ago, I was on my way to a meeting. Leaving my office in the College Residence Hall, I saw one of the groundskeepers, Tony, stomping down the gopher holes. Weird enough, but hey, I used to manage a bar. I've seen dumber things than a guy stomping down gopher holes...that was until I saw what his partner Burt was doing.

Burt was sitting on the tailgate of their running pickup with a hose going from the exhaust to a gopher hole. Yes, they were gassing gophers.

Considering how porous the soil was, I don't think they killed any gophers, but I am sure that they had some really nasty headaches.

2 comments:

  1. The gopher thing I understand- but there's a college in Lamar? The town is like a quarter the size of Emporia! I had no idea you had lived in CO. We seem to be in a weird parallel universe dance. something Sufi maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Lamar Community College in beautiful and scenic Lamar, Colorado 81052. So if you see Larry Green on the Channel 4 weather say "and the hot spot in the state today was Lamar at 117 degrees" you know that was me.

    BTW, 117 in Lamar is a dry heat, it hardly felt a lick over 112.

    I lived there and did Residence Life and then directed a TRIO program for 8 1/2 years. Oh yes, I know the high plains.

    Also, we talked on the phone when I lived in Lamar and you were at RISD. You told me about the RA roadtrip to the movies to see "Wayne's World." You told me thay didn't get it too. It's a midwest thing, they didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete