Wednesday, July 10, 2013

We Need Your Help

Dear Friends,

Yesterday (July 9) afternoon I was leaving the airport in Shreveport with two friends who were returning to Marshall from a wedding. The moment the XTerra left the airport grounds there was a pop and a hiss and the temperature gauge spiked. It wasn't a good moment. So I changed lanes and pulled into the AVIS/Hertz lot not a block away. That was a good moment.

To make a long story shorter, I got the car to the shop (Thanks State Farm Tow Coverage) last night and this morning (July 10) I got the diagnosis. To get the car running again will cost $1710.00. This amount will replace the timing belt, water pump, and coolant bypass hose. To get it running well will cost an additional $1,000. This covers a tune up and serpentine belt.

Our XTerra on a better day.
Now here's where a big problem becomes an even bigger problem. Those of you who know us know that the congregation in Marshall has stopped meeting. To reduce expenses Marie and I have moved from the house we were renting into a room with a former member of First Pres-Marshall. I am seeking a new call, a process which can take a year and longer in Presbyterian Circles. I am also looking for work in Chaplaincy and higher education. I have been filling pulpits in Grace and Pines Presbytery (Many thanks to those congregations who have invited me to preach!) but this barely meets our short term needs.

As for asking the Presbytery for funds, I was told that since they helped cover dental work for Marie (they were very generous) they are not able to help.

We have about $400.00 dollars in the bank today, but that's earmarked for cover daily expenses like rent, medicines (Marie's meds are both abundant and expensive), and health insurance. Pastors are not eligible for unemployment, but we are on Food Stamps so we have dived into those possibilities to keep us afloat. Marie is unemployable because of a disability and is in the process of compiling documents to file for Social Security Disability. I'm giving you an awful lot of information because friends, we need your help.

I have established a PayPal account to help us cover these car expenses. I'm asking for your prayer and financial help. Any amount will help, no amount is too small. I also hope that our pastor friends will consider donating from congregation benevolence funds.

Like everyone knows, living in a small town, seeking work locally and nationally, and continuing to serve God, without a car we are hamstrung. It may not be impossible to live without a vehicle, but we can get more done with one. We thank you for your love and your prayers. And we appreciate your support.

JULY 15 UPDATE: When it rains it poors. I just got a call from the shop with more bad news. The heater core is cracked. Replacing it will add an additional $1,112 to the cost of the repairs in addition to the $1,700 for the timing belt, water pump, and coolant bypass hose. All told, with tax, the updated cost is $3.164.89.

Marie and I praise God and thank those who have contributed so far. The PayPal appeal has brought in $2,200.00 plus another $350.00 in cash dropped off personally. I have also been told there are a couple of checks in the mail that haven't made it to Marshall yet. This means we still need $600.00 to cover the major expense and then there is the tune up. We continue to thank you for your prayers and support.

In Christ,
Paul and Marie Andresen

Click here to...



or follow this link and enter paandresen@aol.com when it asks for "To (Their email address)"

MUST BE SAID: I am not a church. I am not a charitable institution. I an not a 401(c)(3) organization. I can offer no tax relief for your donation. And is with all of my blog posts, this request is not affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) in particular or any other organization in general. This is a personal request. Thank you and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment