Monday, July 15, 2013

Affirmation

There are days when it seems that nothing I say or do matters a lick in this world. Sometimes, on those days, I yell at the universe to see if anybody is listening. In the internet age this usually saying something or sharing something on Facebook or on my blogs.

Some days the universe answers and some days it doesn't. That's just the way it is. Then there are the days when the universe yells back at you. I've never had one of those days, but I have friends and acquaintances who know that feeling way too well. One friend wrote a blog post asking the world why private citizens need automatic and assault weapons at all. Believe me, the universe yelled back that day.

But sometimes, sometimes it's not a scream but a whisper that makes it worth while.

I preached at St. Andrew Presbyterian Church on July 14th. St. Andrew recently lost their pastor and until recently were seeking an interim pastor. I was among a number of local pastors who filled the pulpit during the process. So walking down the hallway on that Sunday morning, a teenager came up to me, gave me a big hug around the neck, and said, "Oh good, you're my favorite."

I posted the girl's comment on Facebook and a friend from Junior High wrote, "It was like God sent someone to let you know He knows." This made me smile almost as much. No yelling at the universe, just a simple word from a teenager, and the love of God welcomes me saying, "You're doing what I want you to do. Keep it up. You don't need to shout."

Thanks Megan. Thanks Debbie. Some days I don't think anything I do matters. Other days I find out that it does matter. God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment