Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Remembering Our Baptism-Pastor Paul's July 5 Newsletter

Dear Friends in Christ,
Not the first time this picture has appeared
on this blog!

I’m guessing you have wondered why I spend so much time talking about the waters of our baptism. You’d have a point. I do spend a lot of time in the water. With the permission of the Worship Committee I have moved the font front and center. Looking down the aisle you see the font then the table then the cross as you enter the sanctuary. I want the kids to splash in the water, whether they have been baptized or not. Especially the ones who have yet to be baptized.

This is the stole I wear every Sunday in Ordinary Time. Those are the weeks between Baptism of the Lord Sunday and Transfiguration Sunday and between Trinity Sunday and Christ the King Sunday. It bears symbols of the two sacraments. On the left is the font symbolizing baptism and on the right is a chalice symbolizing the supper. It was a gift that I was asked to design. I asked for this design so that most of the year I would be able to wear the symbols of the sacramental gifts Jesus gave us.

One of the great joys of serving The Federated Church is weekly celebration of The Lord’s Supper. The congregations I previously served did not, one was downright hostile to celebrating it more than monthly. I think it is important to celebrate this meal often. I’m glad you do too. But what about our baptism?

Baptism is a once in a lifetime event. I have told you I was about four or five months old when I was baptized. I have no means to remember it. In Presbyterian circles this is fine. I like what it says too. It reminds us that God chooses us before we choose God. I like that. I like the UCC and Disciples believer’s baptism too. It says I know what I’m doing. I make this decision. That’s glorious too.

Either way, remembering our baptism is important. This is why I pour the pitcher into the font weekly. This is why we are reminded of the event whether it has happened or is yet to happen. So let us remember the waters of our baptism. Let’s remember what it is like to live wet. Let’s remember what it is like to live a little sloppy. Let’s remember what it is like to bathe in the waters Jesus bathed in before we receive the meal he gave us.

See you in Church!
Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment