Sunday, August 14, 2016

Pastor Paul's Letter to the Church at Weatherford, August 9th

Here is my newsletter article from August 9th, I pray you find it enlightening and amusing.

Pastor Paul’s Letter to the Church at Weatherford

Have you ever been told you had a bad idea? I mean a really bad idea, the kind of idea that, in the words of George Carlin, will “rot your mind, curve your spine, and lose the war for the allies?” I say “Fear not!” Admittedly I can’t offer this with the promises of Christ, but I offer it as a follower of Christ.

Recently I have disliked my Facebook feed because of the political content, but this picture has made it worthwhile. I don’t know where it originated. Several fellow pastors posted it. And it is worthy.

Don’t you agree? If “Sharknado” isn’t a dumb idea, then nothing is.

We have to remember this, not every suggestion is right for every time and place. If a bride and groom were to sit down with me and ask when it’s appropriate to send in the clowns I would consider that improper for a worship service. For a Spring Festival, that would be different. Clowns would make better sense… unless you believe there is no good time for clowns in which case… yada, yada, yada.

Some ask why we are sending out cards to people on the prayer list. It’s because a member of the congregation asked why we aren’t doing something like sending cards to people on the prayer list. “We pray for them, let’s let them know they are in our prayers and on our hearts.” I said “let’s do it!” So we are.

So, is there something on your heart? It could well be the Holy Spirit gnawing at you to get something started in the congregation or the community. Come to me, come to a board member and remember, there are no dumb ideas, there are only Sharknadoes waiting to happen.

See you in church, Pastor Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment