Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What, Me Worry?

Watching the President's address tonight, I was struck by one thing about the Governor of Louisiana who provided the Republican response. The press photo NBC used to promote his response made the governor look like Alfred E. Newman.

I don't know which is worse, the GOP releasing the picture or NBC using it.

I will say this, in a 50 minute speech there seemed to be only limited Republican bashing. There was some in the beginning, and there seemed to be some at the end, but considering the last 28 years of rhetoric, that's not so much.

The Republican response seemed a bit more dense on the bashing, but then again, what took Obama the better part of an hour Jindal had 15 minutes to accomplish.

One thing did bother me about the Republican response, the most common note in the response was "Government--Bad." When did government stop being of, by, and for the people? The way Republicans describe government it is as if there is a "royal family" somewhere taxing the serfs so the aristocracy can live like kings on the fat of the common people.

Funny, from where I sit with too many medical bills, earning Presbytery minimum wage, driving a 10 year old car without heat, AC, or a working blower fan; I refuse to get in a bunch about what Obama has done in 37 days.

Let's get back to "are you doing better than you were eight years ago?" Check your 401(k), check your IRA, check your home's equity value and get back to me.

3 comments:

  1. David Brooks, a student of the late Bill Buckley and well-known conservative writer described Jindal's response as "insane." He asked, "how can anyone expect to get out of this mess without massive gov't intervention.

    As to "government bad" let me say that I wouldn't take my dog to a vet who hated dogs and I wouldn;t turn my children over to the care of a "provider" who didn't like kids. Why would I turn my government over to people who hate government. Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First let me say... great response Dan, er hmmm... John.

    Now to respond in part to the blog. As for the last part about checking... 401(k) OUCH but checked, IRA (I am not a member of military factions) checked and it is worthless than the stamp they use to update me about the balance, home's equity (you have to have a home to have equity if I remember correctly).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose that when Christ admonished us to "give away all you have and follow me" he wasn't anticipating that we'd be giving it away to banksters and etc.

    BTW, you are both mentioned in the current (much changed) chapter of CWJH; paster french specifically and Presbies indirectly. If you have objections or changes now is the time to make them as I am gearing up for print pretty quick. Best!

    ReplyDelete