Friday, February 27, 2009

Praying for Pastors

Last week at the Presbytery of Arkansas meeting, before the debates and votes on the overtures from the General Assembly, we celebrated a time of worship and prayer. During this time, there was no homily, straight praise, prayer, and song.

During the prayer, the worship leader (The Rev. Sallie Watson, Arkansas Presbytery Interim General Presbyter) asked us to pray for pastors. This was a responsive prayer time, so we were asked to name pastors. I named two, the Reverends Bill Clarke and Greg McDonnell.

Bill was the pastor of the church in Lamar where I began to hear the call to ministry. It was through his proclamation of God's word that I learned how to hear and read scripture. Bill is an explainer, he showed me how to think about scripture.

Greg is the pastor of Central Presbyterian Austin where I did my practicuum. I know nobody loves the people of God like Greg.

If Bill showed me how to think, Greg showed me how to love. I would not be the minister, the man of God I am without them as role models. Thanks. You have showed me different wonderful facets of the life and light of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment