Friday, September 17, 2010

The Past and the Future and My Impressions of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

In the most recent issue of the Presbyterian Outlook magazine (Vol. 192, No. 19, September 20, 2010), the news from Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary (APTS) goes like this:
Austin Seminary continues to see a trend toward younger students with a demonstrated commitment to service. The median age in the last two entering classes was 28.
and so on.

Austin Seminary did not herald the building of its new residence facility, as it usually does, in this issue of The Outlook. Anderson House is a new multi family facility built with Green Energy partnership codes from AustinEnergy.

On the facade of the building is a quote from the Rev. John Anderson, major donor and building namesake:
"Send us preachers who are not boring."

Of course, it's in Latin because that way nobody will know what it means. It's an inside joke.

Now for my rant: When Marie and I got to Austin, the average age of students was in the mid-30's. That was fine with us because we were in our late-30's. When we got to APTS, we were as welcomed as seminary could make us.

Is it easy to get welcomed in seminary? I always said that seminary was the best and worst of the church with the best and the worst of higher education, and as an ordained Elder in the church who worked at a major university, I felt I could speak from experience in both realms. I feel my assessment is not good or bad, but I feel it's accurate.

Today, with the push toward youth, I do not know if Marie and I would be welcomed at APTS like we were ten years ago. We weren't young. We didn't have two kids and one more on the way. We weren't then and still aren't the hip "Keep Austin Weird" folks the area is so proud of fostering.

I think it's wonderful, but I don't give a rip about a green building after living in the 650 square feet they accorded us upon arrival. Finally, my first call was to a church that could barely support a pastor, not one that supports a pastor that can support the seminary. (That's what we all get for going where I was called.)

Looking at this blurb from The Outlook, I only believe my assessment of our newly minted outsider status is firm.

Honestly, when I was a student at APTS, the push was toward worship and preaching the Word of God with integrity and grace. In my opinion, a call to be "not boring" is pretty shallow.

Jim Jones wasn't boring, but I'm not selling or drinking that Kool-Aid. Joel Osteen sells out the Compaq Center and sells a billion books, but I'm taught to go for something deeper sharing the fullness of God's grace on God's people.

I guess I'm sad. I guess I'm disappointed. But I guess Thomas Wolfe is right, you can't go home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment