Thursday, December 23, 2010

Superstition

"When you believe in things you don't understand and you suffer, then you suffer; Superstition ain't the way." --Stevie Wonder

I hate behaving in superstitious ways. It doesn't prevent me from acting in superstitious ways, but I still hate it.

About ten years ago, after we moved to Austin, Marie wasn't feeling well. This was nothing new for either of us, she hadn't been well since we moved to Austin. The Dean of Students at the seminary asked how we were doing and how specifically Marie was feeling. Now, I knew she wasn't faking it, but I wondered out loud if "she could find a job and hit a tempo and find a rhythm that she might not feel better." Just thinking out loud. I knew she wasn't faking, but I just hoped if she found something to keep her busy she might feel better.

This is where the organ player starts playing in a minor key.

Well, I said something stupid and she got really sick. In a couple of weeks she had a bowel resection. I was hoping "she would find a rhythm" and she was fighting off a ton of infection and whatever else was causing her abdominal problems. (They still aren't really sure either.)

So Marie hasn't been feeling well lately. I know about the Crohn's disease and the host of other issues she has. I also know better than to say something stupid like I did ten years ago again. But I told this story to my secretary yesterday and... you guessed it--Shingles! Marie has Shingles.

THAT'S NOT FUNNY GOD! Did I tempt fate telling that story again? Stevie has it right: "When you believe in things you don't understand and you suffer, then you suffer; Superstition ain't the way."

I love you Marie, and I pray you get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment