Thursday, May 5, 2011

Half-Baked

I hate half-baked thoughts. I have so many that I have gotten over them, but they are bothersome, particularly when it comes to blogging.

As I have admitted in this very cyberspace, my thoughts on the death of Osama Bin Laden bother me. It's great that the perpetrator of so much death is now dead, but is causing more death reason for celebration? I think the answer is yes, some. How much is too much, as my friend said "unseemly," is the big question I'm not prepared to answer.

Yesterday the Presbyterian Fellowship (mentioned in my "The Sly Is Falling" post) sent out its next letter. They talk about "Dual Citizenship" in the PC(USA), in the "regular" denomination and in their new "more obedient" version. The full text of the letter can be found here. Again, they say they don't want to leave the church, they just want to be a safe haven for the "like minded."

This time, I'm going to take a day or two before responding. I'm not going to jump head long into where angels fear to tread.

But I think the beginning of what I have to say is this, as the "fat kid" and now the "fat man" I have long known what it's like to be on the outside. From kickball to dating to seeking a call, I have often been on the outside looking in. Suddenly, people who have traditionally done the excluding see themselves as the excluded, and it bugs me.

Whatever, I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe a big part of what I need to mull over is where my arrogance and my ignorance come together as I consider the words of others. Thanks be to the God who knows the answers, even the ones that don't get shared.

2 comments:

  1. I don't follow everything in this thought but am impressed by your level of humility. You're a truly good man. God bless you. Moishe (a.k.a. Mike) Sachs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you Moishe, there were a dozen thoughts running through my head while creating this post, so I didn't follow my own thoughts, The whole thing was truly half-baked, but it's getting time in the oven. You too are a good man Moishe. Your mother and father are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete