Monday, May 2, 2011

On the Death of Osama Bin Laden

It was a Tuesday morning at seminary in Austin, Texas, I was learning the Hebrew alphabet. After class I went to the Financial Aid Office because I needed to do some paperwork. It was there that I heard of the attacks on the World Trade Center. Listening to it on the radio was surreal. It was like listening to H.G.Wells "War of the Worlds," but this time it was real.

Last night, just after midnight, I couldn't sleep so I turned the TV on to ESPN. After about a minute I noticed the "BREAKING NEWS" logo at the bottom of the screen. This is where I learned of the death of Osama Bin Laden. I changed to the news and watched. Since then I have wondered how to respond to the death of a terrorist who was responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans. Rabbi Shmuli Boteach has posted his response on algemeiner.com. I enjoy much of what he has to say.

But let me start with where I disagree. He says "Judaism stands alone as a world religion in its commandment to hate evil." He goes on to say that Christians don't understand the words of Jesus, he knows that because he has studied the New Testament and has even published a book sourcing it throughly. Let me take this sidetrack for a criticism of the Rabbi, what Christians call commentary and Jews call midrash exist to help teach and understand the word of God. You are allowed your commentary, but as I am unqualified to teach you your faith, you are equally unqualified to teach me mine. Instead, let's find common ground.

Saying that, his closing comment is where the rubber hits the road:
"I hate Osama bin Laden but I will not rejoice in his death. It would have been better for the world had he never been born. But once he was, and once he directed his life to unspeakable cruelty, it was necessary for him to be stopped and killed. And for that I give thanks to G-d and the brave soldiers of the American military for making the world a safer, more just, and innocent place."
These are good words.

Evil is to be hated. Evil is to be fought. Justice is to be honored and celebrated. Death is to be mourned. To dance on one grave is to dance on all of them. Honor the soldiers who won this battle. Honor the soldiers who have fallen fighting this battle. Know that it was necessary to end the reign of terror caused by Osama Bin Laden and know that the battle doesn't end with his death.

So these are my first words on the death of Osama Bin Laden. My problem with my own words is that right now it seems like wet concrete. There is plenty of substance, but it's not ready to bear the full weight of what it will eventually support. I guess there is nothing to do but let it cure until it can bear the full weight.

Someone wrote last night that the celebrations of Bin Laden's death were unseemly. I agree with him, but I understand this spontaneous, emotional outburst. Catharsis is never tidy.

No comments:

Post a Comment