Thursday, May 19, 2011

Church Vision

I have been contemplating church purpose statements lately. I don't mean mission statements, I don't want to think about Mission Statements yet. That's more than what I am playing with in my mind right now. What I am really looking at is a statement of the thing that defines who we are as this part of the Body of Christ here and now.

Chain of Lakes Church, Suburban Twin Cities (From the PC(USA) Mission Yearbook, April 29, 2011)
"We are called to be an authentic, Christian community where: strangers become friends, friends become disciples, and disciples impact the world."
The First Baptist Church ministered to by Pastor Rich (in Kevin G. Ford's "Transforming Church" Salt River Press, 2007, ff. 56.)
"A Safe Place"
Heritage Church in Moultrie, Georgia (From Ford's book, page 86)
"A passionate community of disciples who significantly impact their world for Jesus"
First Presbyterian Church of Longview, Texas (http://www.fpclongview.org/)
"Glorifying God and Enjoying Him Forever"
First Presbyterian Church of Berryville, Arkansas (the congregation I formerly served)
"To gather and welcome the broken people of the world and through God's word make us one."
There are many, many others. Some of these are mission statements, some of them ways to describe how they define themselves as community. If your church has a statement like this, I welcome you to join the happy discussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment