Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Tale of Parenting

As you know, I don't have children of my own, but that doesn't stop me from sharing my friends' stories. This one comes from sunny Lamar, Colorado 81052 (or at least the hinterlands). Since they don't know I am sharing the story with the world I'm leaving out the names.

It is also known that I love Steely Dan and wish everyone could know the Mighty, Mighty Dan. (On a side note, for those who think all Steely Dan fans are slightly dis-affected youths who are now in their 50's all I can say is--Guilty. Next...) These parents are Dan-fans too and I hope I had a bit to do with helping them introduce their children to their music.

So Dad tells me this parenting story--

One night their daughter came home late. Late. After curfew late. They were not amused.

Mom asked "Where were you? Where have you been with?"



After a moment of contemplation, daughter answers "Luckless pedestrians."

Dad covered his mouth and squinted his eyes closed tight. Mom said "Go to your room."

I think daughter knows her parents were not amused, but the Dan reference did make Dad proud. Pauley (how I was known to this wonderful family)is pretty proud too.

Is there a parent anywhere who doesn't have that moment? Upset in one moment and disarmed in the next? Yeah, go to your room!

No comments:

Post a Comment