Sunday, September 9, 2012

Only in Cub Scout Baseball

It's been a long time since I just told a story, and this one came back to me recently because of a friend who has returned to my life.

Moishe Sachs and I went to grade school and were in Cub Scouts together. Among the things we did was play Cub Scout Baseball. Let me add that I was awful! There's no other word, for the first two years I could not put the bat on the ball. I was just that bad.

One day we were playing and Moishe's dad Fred was calling balls and strikes behind the plate. All of the dads had to put on the mask at least once and that day was Mr. Sach's day. I was in the batter's box. I don't remember if there was anybody on base but I don't think so. The pitch came toward the plate, but it was a bit inside. I decided to stand tough, not move a muscle as it came below my hands.

Well, I misgauged the pitch, it was inside, but just a little higher than I thought. It hit the knob of the bat and rolled half way back to the pitcher. Well, I figured that I didn't swing so it wasn't a hit and it didn't hit me so I didn't get the free base. Everyone else must have thought the same thing because nobody moved. I didn't even hear anything from the parents' gallery.

Then Mr. Sachs said the magic words, "Fair ball." I didn't think it was a hit but I don't have to be told twice. I ran for the bag and the pitcher ran for the ball. The ball got away from the first baseman, so not only did I reach first--I got to second on the throw.

The Butt-Bunt was born. I might have been lousy, but people who were good never had stories like this one. They have enough sense to get out of the way.

God bless you Mr. Sachs. God bless you Moishe.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, that's great, Rev. Paul. I, too, remember a couple of things about those fun summer baseball days when we were so little.
    Do you remember how Mr. Lofgren showed us how to run to first base? It was so funny.
    I went from bad to worse in hitting the ball from 4th - 6th grade, the years I played. There were exactly 3 times that I did something that surprised the heck outa me. Our team, The Santa Fe Trailblazers, was losing 37-0 to Belinder, if I recall correctly. Somebody got the idea to make me a pitcher. I think that the first pitch I threw was hit straight back into my glove that happened to be in the right place at the right time,in front of my face. The 2nd good thing I did I think was one time hitting a ball all the way to the infield of the other baseball diamond at Santa Fe (or close to it). That was really far for a small kid to hit a baseball. Lastly, I don't remember getting even one hit in the entire 6th grade summer season. But, I did make a game-saving catch. I was playing right field close to center field when an almost line drive was hit down the right field line. I ran as fast as I could & did a flying dive with my arm stretched all the way out. It was just enough to catch the ball right before it hit the ground.
    It's amazing how we never forget what happens when we're so young & how a good word or experience can give us so much encouragement.
    Amein to your blessings, & those who bless others should surely be blessed.

    ReplyDelete