Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lies My Father Told Me, Volume 1

Let's face it, parents lie. Often it's because kids aren't at a developmental stage where the truth would make any sense. This is why there are so many different versions of "The Birds and the Bees." So not all lies are bad, per se, but then again, every lie is a step further away from the truth. One of the first lies my father told me is that people don't care what you look like, who you are trumps what you look like. Such a lie.

We live in a society where appearance is all important, and in my many job searches since 1984 I have found this to be true.

Here's a nice story: A member of the congregation in Marshall once told me a story about my first day in the pulpit. She said when I entered the sanctuary for the first time, coming in behind the acolyte, she thought "That is a whole bunch of man." Then I opened my arms and said, "May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all." That was when she told  me I could be her pastor.

So, in a way my dad was right, once I got in the door, I was judged for who I was. The difficulty now is finding another part of the Body of Christ, where the people will judge me for who I am, not how I look. Now that wasn't something my dad ever warned me about.

So what's this all about? Here's something I know: One day I will be judged for not being a good steward of my body. I am a fat man. This is a truth.

But I will not be judged  as someone who chose not to consider a possible pastor because of appearance. Those people are living my father's lies.

2 comments:

  1. Paul, this breaks my heart! My first memory of seminary was Discovery Day weekend. We sat together for lunch and Marie was there. I do not remember the thought of "fat" entering my mind. If I had to sum up my first impression with one word, it would be "loving." There is not a congregation out there who would not be blessed by you and Marie. You both welcomed me into your hearts from day one, and because of that, I have been blessed.

    If someone needs more credentials on why you make such a great pastor, you have them call me. I am serious about that. I will give you a recommendation any time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I totally agree with Heather. When you put your robe on & step behind the pulpit and begin to deliver your message, your overwhelming knowledge of God's Word and method of delivery is driven only by your confidence of knowing God is directing your teaching. Speaking for my husband & me only, we were so pleased to find a GREAT PASTOR, we were unconcerned with "size", outside of having a friendly concern for health issues you might be dealing with. Your blessing and love for your Church family and Marie were evident. I pray God will soon lead your way to another loving Church family who is looking for a GREAT PASTOR.

    ReplyDelete