Sunday, February 27, 2011

Voting on the Will of God

This is a section of the sermon I preached today titled "His" on Matthew 6:24-34. This section deals with Matthew 6:33 and its role in the Presbyterian Church (USA) during this round of voting on amendments from the General Assembly.  I guess in a way when we vote on the amendments, in essence, we will vote on the will of God.  As true as this is, let us come together in discernment. 
This leads us to one more matter that we must examine on account of this passage, discerning his kingdom and his righteousness. The best example for me to bring up today is the biennial root canal that is the General Assembly of the PC(USA). This is a place where good Christian men and women come together to discern God’s will for the denomination and for the whole Body of Christ. As is the norm when good Christian men and women come together to discern God’s will, people will often reach opposite conclusions regarding the best way to strive for the kingdom of God and his righteousness. 
What I find distressing is not that we disagree. I’m distressed when we insult and revile another in God’s name. I have seen fear and shame and anger do their level best to overwhelm love. Often people are so blind to their own words that not only is grace lacking, but so is confession that no one person has had all the answers since the guy on the cross. 
Yet as we strive for the kingdom of God and his righteousness together, we are able to discern God’s way and wisdom for our lives. In Committees, in Session and in Presbytery and in General Assembly, we are more apt to discern God’s wisdom than when we work alone. When we hear the opinions of others, especially when we disagree, we are more likely to learn from one another. 
Next weekend, this feast of discernment makes its way to Dallas where Grace Presbytery will vote on the amendments sent by the General Assembly to the presbyteries. So now, let us pray not for a side to win the day, but that as a Presbytery we strive for his kingdom and his righteousness.
Well, I said it, so it's time for me to own it.  Recently on this very blog, I posted a pretty snarky group of remarks to a letter sent by a group of Presbyterian Men who are mostly (43 our of 45) "big steeple" pastors.  Frankly, I regret the way I said what I said.  I don't regret my intent, but I do regret my execution.  There were other posts that made the points I wanted to make so much more eloquently.  I wish I could find them so I could share them.  Alas...

Still, let us pray for discernment for the whole denomination and for the whole church as we approach the mercy seat of God to do the work of the denomination.  Let us be holy.  Let us be holy together.

1 comment:

  1. Aye, it's hard to call back a word, once you've pitched it out there. But then, I guess that's what metanoia is for.

    ReplyDelete