Saturday, March 5, 2011

Grace Presbytery Ratifies Amendment 10-A

PRESBYTERIAN POLITY FOLLOWS!  Actually there is more than that, but you probably figured it our with the blog title's spoiler.

Today Grace Presbytery voted on the overtures from the 219th General Assembly. The hot button topic was Amendment 10-A. (The full text of the amendment can be found on pages1-2 on this link ) Many say this is the amendment about allowing the ordination of sexually active gays and lesbians. It is more accurate to say this amendment allows for the nomination to ordained office for gays and lesbians.

Some would say this is just parsing the amendment, but I believe the distinction is important. Even if selected by a nominating committee, it is always up to the congregation to elect--led by the wisdom of the Holy Spirit--who will lead them as Decons, Elders, and Ministers of the Word and Sacrament.

The Amendment was ratified with an unofficial vote count of 243-149.  (All vote counts on the Presbyterian amendments are unofficial, all the Stated Clerk will report is a Yea or Nay vote, so technically there is no "official" vote count to report.)

I believe what I said about this topic two years ago (found at this link) is still important, but it is not what I think needed to be heard, and it was not what I needed to say.  I was just four speakers away from the microphone when the vote was called, but I didn't hear what I was about to say from any other speaker, so I want to share it with you here and now.
Madam Moderator and my friends of Grace, I am the Reverend Paul Andresen, Minister of Word and Sacrament from First, Marshall and I speak in favor of the amendment. 
The Reverend Doctor David Johnson recently asked a group of friends "Why do you stay in the Presbyterian Church?"  I took this question very seriously.  Finally after considering theology and worship and polity and a number of other things, it was ultimately revealed that the Church of Christ which meets as the PC (USA) is my home an you are my family. 
This was expressed better in the book of Ruth as Naomi sends away her widowed daughter-in-law, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God."
I do not know how the vote will be cast today, but this I do know.  We are family, even when we argue we are the children of God.  We are better together than we are apart and I pray you will not send me away. 
Madam Moderator, thank you.
This does not mean that Presbyterian Churches [PC(USA) that is] can ordain gays and lesbians starting tomorrow.  There are more presbyteries to vote.  Then even if it passes, I don't see challenges going away quickly. It's a divisive issue which will continue dividing the House of God.  Still let us pray for unity, let us pray for peace, and above all, let us pray for Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment