Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rest in Peace, Miss Lucille

I heard today of the death of a parishioner from my prior posting in Berryville, Arkansas.  She died with family around her moving painlessly from this life to the next.  She was a lovely lady who lived to an advanced age and she taught me a thing or two about being a pastor, lessons I learned the hard way.

The first thing I learned from her is I have to be imaginative and think fast.  Presbyterian Kosher and Presbyterian Acceptable are two different things.

She was a life long Lutheran and wanted to die a Lutheran and wanted to also become a member of the First Presbyterian Church in Berryville. When I was asked how we could do this, I immediately went to my Book of Order training and took the most direct route saying she needed a letter of transfer from her prior church to this one.

Well, that wouldn't do for Miss Lucille.  She couldn't give up her Lutheran identity. Someone else then asked me, "Couldn't she just do a Reaffirmation of Faith?"  Immediately it dawned on me that of curse we could, nothing said we couldn't!  So I affirmed we could do that, but the damage was done.  Miss Lucille did not become a member and soon quit attending.

But there was another lesson I learned, you gotta be ready when someone tells the truth.

She said the biggest barrier in joining, or even worshiping with that part part of the Body of Christ is my obesity.  She said my fat got in the way of the word of God.  She also asked me to pray that she would be able to get beyond it.

Now, know this, I'm fat--really fat.  I call my blog "There's a Fat Man in the Bathtub with the Blues" because I love the song, but also because there are times when it's pretty darn descriptive.  Please also know that it hurts when people say, "Dude, you're fat."  Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names gnaw at your psyche for years and years.  But know this too; she didn't hedge her words, she came right out and said them--and that's better than trying to mold words into a pleasant package.

She didn't candy coat her words and she owned them. She also noted that she didn't think it was good, she knew it wrong to focus on one over the other.  But I wonder how many of the churches I met with in person before receiving the call to First Presbyterian Church in Marshall, Texas said "Dang he's fat" without even considering "Dang, could he be our pastor?"

(Oh, I'm glad the one that absolutely did is here in Marshall, Texas!  Thanks be to God!!  Can I get an amen!!!)

Some pastors in my former Presbytery hedged around the prospect of my obesity being a stumbling block toward me receiving a new call and chalked it up to a problem, my problem.  One even said I may never get another call.  Of those who focused on the fat, only Lucille saw the issue as more than my girth.  Only Lucille owned up to the prejudice being her sin.  Only Lucille asked me to pray with her about it. Only Lucille sought restoration through Christ for her judgement of my appearance.

I can't say it wasn't difficult, and I can't say it didn't hurt, but I can say she taught me something hard, important, and positive.  I can't say so much about the others.

Lucille, you taught me.  You taught me to be creative and seek redemption.  You taught me to think outside of the box and think first of Christ.  Lucille, thank you, God bless, and be at peace in the church triumphant.

No comments:

Post a Comment