Tuesday, April 5, 2011

When Others Have Moved On

It's coming up on six years ago that Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast, particularly greater New Orleans. I had just been ordained and installed as Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Berryville, Arkansas when Katrina struck. I hardly knew anybody in town and was just becoming more familiar with the community when I was accosted by a woman who worked at the local print shop. She wanted to know what my church and I were doing to help New Orleans.

At that moment there was a UHaul at the local Wal-Mart loading supplies to the Gulf. They were getting all sorts of supplies-the stuff that you get when you don't know what to get-and getting it ready to go the New Orleans. There was no plan really, just load the truck and head south. At the time, nobody really knew the full extent of the damage, people just wanted something done now.

In the end, considering the roads, the scope of the disaster, and the National Guard, I don't know who finally received the supplies on that truck. Did it make it to New Orleans? Or Mississippi for that matter? Or anyone who was displaced by the storm? Who knows? I'm not sure if anybody really does.

This woman was upset that I said I was checking to see what the denomination was doing. She wondered how I could be so callus not to go down and buy a ton of water to send to Louisiana at that moment. I gave her a lousy answer because I didn't have a good answer for her, but as I said, the ink wasn't even dry in my shingle. I didn't know what to say or do.

Well, one of the reasons I'm a fan of the Presbyterian Church (USA) is that the church and Presbyterian Disaster Assistance take a long term approach to helping people overcome the woes of disaster. This article provides a look at what the church is doing and continues to do five years after most disaster relief agencies left New Orleans.

There is still work to be done, and thank God for people like Presbyterian Disaster Assistance for their continuing work on the Gulf Coast and wherever God's good creation needs the church to be God's hands and help the miracle happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment