Friday, December 27, 2013

The Vanilla Accent

A long time ago I heard that telemarketers often headquartered in Omaha because compared to the rest of America people in Omaha had a vanilla accent, or rather a plain speaking voice, no accent at all. Forgive me for saying after trying to get my AT&T DSL hooked up with Reggie in Bangalore three years ago that I wished companies stayed with vanilla.

The New York Times Opinion Page published an interactive quiz called "How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk. What does the way you speak say about where you’re from?" This is the link to my accent map. It shows my accent is most like Omaha, Lincoln, and Des Moines. My accent is least like New York City, which ironically is where my father was born and raised. If you have 10 minutes it's good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment