Sunday, December 29, 2013

RefuJesus-The Commentary

There's an old saying, if at first you don't succeed... I put it to the test today at Broadmoor Presbyterian Church in Shreveport. The sermon I preached today, "RefuJesus" is a version 2.0. I preached it three years ago at First-Marshall after having learned several lessons. Let me tell you what I learned and what I changed.

This time, I was certain to tell the congregation in no uncertain terms that this concept, the refugee status of Jesus and the Holy Family in Egypt was new to me too. At least twice I said this was new, different, and not the most orthodox way of looking at the flight to Egypt. I also mentioned it was still biblical.

By the way, as a version 2.0 I was not being dishonest saying this was new because the first time it was new and it did freak me out as much as it did and should freak out anybody who read this for the first time. I was sharing my honest first impressions.

The reader and listener will also notice that when I gave my version of the Nativity/Wise Man/First Part of Today's Reading, I used some emotionally charged language. I did this because I wanted people to react to the word of God and how it would look if it were happening today. I wanted us to be uncomfortable.

And that's why I used the Fosdick quote: "The purpose of the gospel is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

In short, I don't think the purpose of the gospel is to always make us feel better about ourselves. But I do believe that it should always make us know that our hope is in the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ. It's not in our stuff. It's not in our skill. It's in our Lord.

That's the purpose behind sharing the Isaiah quote. Isaiah was sharing a reflection of God's mercy remembered while foreshadowing the work of Christ to come. How great is that?

In the end, there seemed to be two reactions. Those who said it was nice to have me back and those who said they really, really loved the sermon. I must admit, when a pastor lays it all out, and in my opinion that sermon is a one not everyone is ready (or maybe even willing?) to hear (can I refer you back to the congregation that heard a lesser version?).

But then again, Preaching and Worship professors constantly reminded us that the pulpit should always be approached with fear and trepidation. Yet, it should always be approached in the confidence of Christ.

There is no better tightrope in the world. Thanks to the good people of Broadmoor Presbyterian for walking it with me this morning. Thank you and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment