Friday, June 5, 2009

Remembering Hockey--Working the Man Trough

In the early 90's, for little good reason at all, I spent a weekend in San Diego. Friday night, I went to the San Diego Sports Arena to catch playoff action between the San Diego Gulls and the Fort Wayne Comets of the American Hockey League. It was a good game, but the hometown Gulls went down to defeat in the end.

The worst part of the evening were the young fans sitting behind me cursing and yelling at the players. Near the end of the evening, I went to the bathroom and they had a long trough, the man trough. (Not nearly enough time to cover the etiquette of the man trough, but that is post-worthy.) I was settling into my place, and the kids from behind me stormed into the bathroom.

They were still yelling and cursing. Finally, their diatribe went to this: "F___ Fort Wayne, F___ Texas." After they left, we were all staring at the wall (again, the etiquette) and wondering what that was all about.

Then, some guy asked, "Do you think they meant Fort Worth?"

Yes, there was laughter at the man trough.

No comments:

Post a Comment