Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Love, Hate, Forgiveness, Time, and Time Again

I read this from HomileticOnline.com today and it got me thinking:

Terry Anderson, a hostage for almost seven years in Lebanon, said this about forgiveness: Forgiveness isn't something that you just do and get over with -- it's a process ... What does it mean to forgive? Does it mean that I accept what they did to me? No. Does it mean I have to love them? That's what Christ said, but I'm not ready for that.

It does mean not hanging on to the anger. I'm not going to spoil the joy [of being free] by being angry. I can't hurt them by my anger -- I can only hurt myself.

--Anthony Cardinale, Anderson Tells of Struggle to Forgive Captors, The Buffalo News, 14 May 1993, C-5, as referenced by Stan Gockel, Tonawanda, New York.

This reminded me of something. About 15 years ago, two very good friends were getting divorced. They are wonderful people, and their marriage was over, and one the partners was upset with me because I didn't pick sides. Another friend described it to me like this: By not picking sides, I picked against one.

If that doesn't sound quite rational, I think that's the point too.

I have been thinking about this: It is easier to remember to love everyone than it is to try to remember who I am supposed to hate. Is this what Christ meant? Maybe so, it is certainly a practical off-shoot of his teaching. Is it easy to follow. Heavens no, this is a part of what Terry Anderson was getting at.

Scripture reminds us that anybody can love their friends, we need the love of God so that we can love our enemies. Boy, talk about a lesson that takes a lifetime to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment