Saturday, January 8, 2011

And That's All I Have to Say about That

Yesterday there was a tragic shooting in Tucson. Someone seemingly decided that... well, I have no idea what Jared Laughner decided. But as the Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Marshall, Texas, one of my responsibilties is to interpret this for us. This is a late draft what I am going during worship on Sunday morning from my sermon titled "Living Wet."

The premise of the sermon had to do with living into the covenant of baptism, living in the waters of our baptism. Yesterday, it took a different turn.
In due time, Jesus would give the world a new righteousness, a new relationship with the Lord open to all of us, not just the prophets of the Old Testament. But this was not the reason he came to the river. Jesus had come to the river to do the right thing. He came to accept the baptism of John. And in his obedience to righteousness he did what was pleasing to God, receiving the anointing of the Holy Spirit, hearing the glorious voice of the Lord.
This is as far as I got by Saturday afternoon. Then I checked facebook and when I did I found out about the shooting in Tucson. I read about a mad man who took more than a dozen shots into a crowd at a political event, killing six including Federal Judge John Roll and a nine year-old girl, wounding twelve including U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords.
It seems that in times like these, when chaos looks like it is going to swallow us all, that people come to church seeking answers, seeking a word in the Lord. Today I speak about righteousness that comes in relationship. I speak of a man who takes a baptism that is not his, but he takes it on behalf of all of us. He accepts the baptism of water to stand with us in the waters of the church. He has chosen to live wet in the waters of our baptism, a baptism he does not need, but chooses to accept.
It’s funny how many of those images will return around Easter time. Then he will take what should be assigned to us again. Then he will accept a punishment that we deserve, not him. And he will do it on our behalf.
Today, we come to the font, accepting three new members into this community, a community established in the waters of his baptism and in ours. Today we will come to the font and ordain and install new leaders, Elders into this part of the Body of Christ. One of these Elders has served the congregation and the Session faithfully. The other has served the congregation faithfully and begins serving in a new ministry today.
Today we will come to the table to share the Bread of Heaven, the Body of Christ broken for us and the Cup of Salvation, the Blood of Christ shed for us. In our reading today, through the Baptism of the Lord, we are again called to remember our own baptism. Our baptism is a bath, a tomb, a womb. Our baptism is a gift which identifies us with the community Jesus calls into existence every day. A community he founded and a community he joined in the waters of his baptism, done through a righteousness which is a gift freely offered which we freely ask. In the waters of the baptism we share together, we live a wonderfully wet live.
As for yesterday’s shooting, I have no new word. I have no new insight. I have no new wisdom. What I have, the only thing I ever always have, is the promise of the Lord our God. The only thing I really have to say about this is that as we are called to live in righteousness, in relationship with Jesus Christ. And as in the life of Christ, sometimes we live wet in the waters of our baptism; and in other more terrific times it is in the blood of the cross.
Lord, hear our prayers... My the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer. Amen. (Psalm 19:14)

1 comment:

  1. Check the coda at http://fatmaninthebathtub02.blogspot.com/2011/01/and-thats-all-i-have-to-say-about-that_09.html

    for my thoughts about using the shooting of a Jewish woman in a Christian sermon. I should have said something in the initial post, but the coda will have to do.

    ReplyDelete