Sunday, March 8, 2009

Car Woes

Well, this is a fine kettle of fish...

I was in Little Rock from Thursday through Saturday at a conference. It was a wonderful learning experience and makes me feel quite hopeful. Unfortunately, one of the presenters said, "Beware when a pastor wakes up and thinks everything is great, because it won't be soon." Alas, she was right.

Leaving Little Rock, the tachometer (gauge that measures engine RPM's) died. This happened not too long ago--the alternator died and with it the car. Well, we got that fixed. But when the tach quit again, I figured it couldn't be any good.

I decided to drive to Conway and take a look at it there. So getting to a gas station at I-40 & US 65, I opened the hood. There was smoke coming off the engine block. Oops, this can't be good. So it's 3:00, the service place at the Hyundai dealer is closed in Conway, I'm still 3 1/2 hours from Berryville, and the sermon is ready to be typed, but it isn't typed yet. I'm stranded and hours from home.

To make a long story shorter, Marie came and got me with the help of good friends. We stayed the night because she was exhausted (I was pretty tired too, don't let me tell you it was just her) it was dark, and those corners are kind of tough on 65--especially at midnight--on the day that daylight savings time begins. We left at 7:00 this morning and I made it to church five minutes before worship.

Yes, I led worship in a t-shirt. At least it was a black tee and as bad as it must have looked, it could have been much worse.

Tomorrow I call Superior Hyundai in Conway to see what's up with the vehicle. I don't know what's going to happen next, I just don't. Will the car be fixible? How are we going to pay for it? What if it's not? How can I keep up on all of our bills with this on top of it all? But I know this, we have a wonderful church family who bolsters us. Thank God for their love and support, this is truly a spiritual gift.

Please pray for us, but pray with confidence. Glory comes, but it may look nothing like what I could ever expect. Of course, that's a part of this Sunday's sermon...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, Paul. Sounds like an awful experience (one I've shared a time or too so I know how frustrating it can be. On the other hand, we could own a car company now instead of just a car. There is woe!

    Anyway, you can call me. Very glad to go to Conway to pick you up: have van, will travel.

    ReplyDelete