Sunday, March 1, 2009

Movies to Offend


Marie and I watched Tropic Thunder yesterday. As offensive as Blazing Saddles is, see my post from a couple of weeks ago, Tropic Thunder took the ground Blazing Saddles blazed, planted a ton of C-4, and scorched the earth.

This movie is intentionally offensive to every group of people on earth. Robert Downey Jr.'s Academy Award Nominated performance in black face reaches a new level of "OMG, did I really just see that" that just gets us started. The movie then offends (in no particular order) good actors, bad actors, the movie making industry, fat people, gay people, Asians, drug runners, children, people with special needs, Toby McGuire, MTV, energy drinks, rap/hip-hop music, bald people, sycophants, insects, and the anti-land mine people.

If you can offend that many people in less than two hours, you deserve a special prize.

Did I laugh, oh yes, I surely did. Am I proud of laughing at this movie. Oh, God no! And that's the point. This was meant to offend people. The film needed a caveat that said "Equal Opportunity Offender" running across the bottom for people who didn't get that it was a joke. Perhaps its saving grace is that it not only went too far, it went way too far.

Do I recommend it? Well, we'll have to talk. This isn't for just anyone, but it is against absolutely everyone.

Except Hispanics. Hummmmm.....

1 comment: