Sunday, March 29, 2009

Virtual Nostalgia

Marie gave me permission to share this story with you.

The other day she was using Google Earth to check out her old stomping grounds, East Haven, Connecticut. She showed me the road she lived on, she showed me the beach. She showed me the park and she showed me the marina. She couldn't find the light house, but her cousin assures her it is still there.

Then it dawned on her. She was giving me the same tour her father would take her on of the old neighborhood. Of course, he did the tour from the road. "This is where so-and-so lived. This is where we would do such-and-such." The only difference is that we did it from the comfort of our own home.

So to speak, it was virtually the same tour.

As Jim Stafford sang in the song Wildwood Flower, "Take a trip and never leave the farm."

No comments:

Post a Comment