Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Story from My Misspent Youth

This story comes from Kevin Kincaid's bachelor party. I remembered it as I was remembering K's life.

NOTE: This is a bachelor party story. If you are expecting a story of a Yahatzee game with grape Nee-Hi you're very, very wrong. This would be a hard PG-13 story or maybe R. If you want to think less of me for this story, please remember a few things:

  1. These are the stories that shaped me. History is history.
  2. There are lessons to be taken, take them for what they are worth; and if possible don't repeat them yourselves!
  3. I'm much better now.

As a crew of guys, about twenty of us piled into several cars and headed to downtown Kansas City. There we went into the Dove Theater. Let me just say if "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" was the movie on the marquee, it isn't the one you saw with your folks when you were six.

Anyway, after the movie we headed back to K's house for more party. A couple of the party goers made it back about a half-hour later than everyone else--and they came back with two hookers and their pimp.

K was LIVID! He was outraged that some of his friends would bring prostitutes to his house and even imagine that he would sleep with one or both of them in the bed he would share with his wife a couple days later. He told the guys to get them out of the house and do it now, then he headed to the deck to wait until it was done.

After it was all done, someone said that we should just forget this ever happened. I said no.

You see, forgetting means you never learn the lesson. These are the sort of lessons we need to make sure are learned so that our sons don't become the guy who brings the hookers.

I learned a long time ago you don't have to make every mistake in the book as long as you can learn the mistakes of others. What did I learn--K loved the woman who was about to become his wife. He was angry with his friends who didn't realize what this "gesture" would mean to him. I learned not to be the guy who brings the hookers. I learned forgiveness is good, forgetting not so much, and learning is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment