Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year--New Blog

Today I premier a new blog: A Rock and Roll Devotional. It is said that there is a difference between the sacred and the secular, the holy and the profane. As for me, I say those are false separations. If we believe that all things come from the Lord, we must believe all things come from the Lord.

Popular music has often been considered unholy, regardless of the era. But I believe there is something poetic and magical in the musical that transcends what can be said in prose alone. This is my opportunity to share that.

And I want your help. Comments are of course needed and welcomed on the posts, but I am also looking for suggestions of songs and scriptures. My expertise is the "Classic Rock" era. (I believe the music you hear in your teen years becomes imprinted on the psyche. The "Soundtrack of Life" if you will. It is true in my case.) So I need help especially with music recorded since 1990. Before 1962 is helpful too.

So here is my hope that ARRD will be a blessing to you, and me too. I also hope that you will be willing to help.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to it... plus there is this skit thingy... hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main trouble with any contribution I make is that I firmly believe that very little Rock and Roll was written after 1972. I suppose then, that I might be referred to as "High Church", a thing that John Turner has accused me of being (damn those Catholic roots, boyz). And, really, do you want a schizim (sp--but a good shot at it) so early in the development of your devotional? Yet, fighting and fist throwing is well within the Protestant Tradition so, perhaps, all will be well. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I mean by Puberty Music, er, the music you hear during your teen years. My stuff hits between '72 (age 10) and '90 (when I quit working in the bars). That's what was formative and important to me and what came after that wasn't.

    Of course, this is where someone whose formative years came since 1990 might choose to call my preferences "the stuff of the old foggie."

    Pre '72, hey, I need all the help I can get and if you want to feel that this is when rock music stopped, I can roll with it.

    Of course, by the same token I have to roll with the (relative) youngster who says rock music didn't start until grunge.

    And that's the joy--the Lord can be found in all of it. Make a joyful noise everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reply is an artful dodge around the church fight (devotional) opportunity, but not so fast, smarty pants! The rush to "relevancy" and the codling of whippersnappers is a ugly thing and accounts for mega churches and a potential leisure suit rival. When disco reared its ugly head the dam was broken and innocence was lost for all time. Woe onto those who(fill in the blank)!

    ReplyDelete