Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sportsmanship and Instant Karma

The Associated Press has reported Micah Grimes, the head girl's basketball coach of Covenant School in Dallas, has been fired after his team's 100-0 victory over Dallas Academy. On Sunday Grimes was quoted saying:

"We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."
Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, did not respond when asked if this quote is why Grimes ws released.

Let me begin saying: Oh, come on! Skunking a team 100-0 and popping treys in the 4th quarter shows integrity? Dr. Neismith is rolling in his grave right now. If Grimes' values won't allow him to run up the score I would hate to see what the score would have been if they had tried to run it up. 130-0? 150-0?

Evidently Covenant quit trying hard as soon as the score hit the century mark with four minutes to go. Thank God for Grimes' gracious mercy.

Still, I have mixed emotions about Grimes being released as coach. I believe people can learn more with structure. Letting him go removes that. I would like to see him--and every coach who runs up the score--get rolled over in a game. I also believe the old "and see how you like it" has value.

John Lennon told us instant karma's gonna get you right between the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment