Friday, January 9, 2009

Dick Clark & Joe Paterno

Marie and I were in Springfield yesterday for a doctor's appointment, and on the way home I saw a billboard for Dick Clark's American Bandstand Theater in Branson, and it got me thinking about Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve.

We watched some of it this year, especially around midnight eastern time for the ball drop. Just before it was time, Ryan Seacrest made several cuts to the studio to talk to Dick. Dick Clark has been sick, I am only trusting my memory here, but I think he missed a couple of the New Year's shows a few years ago because of the illness. By the way he was talking, it was pretty obvious he is still recovering from a stroke or some such thing.

It started me thinking about "forced retirement" and people who refuse to go away quietly into the good night. Joe Paterno is the coach of the Penn State football team and I think this year he turned 215. He has not only coached the football team, he and his wife have given a significant amount of money back to the university. At most football power houses, coaches aspire to have some football facility named in their honor. At Penn State, there's a library with Mr. and Mrs. Joe Pa's names on it.

Dick Clark invented new years eve. Joe Pa invented college football. Not really, but go with me here. Dick is recovering, and his speech may not get any better. Joe Pa now coaches from on high in the press box because of his ailments. Should they go? Perhaps, but what the hey, let them go on their own time. They have both given too much to be shown the door. In this day of disposable things and people, let's remember that there are institutions.

2 comments:

  1. They have some other great Branson shows worth watching too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Paterno in Branson! Wow!! I didn't know Penn State was playing the College of the Ozarks!!!

    ReplyDelete