Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Yoke I Bear


Scripture tells us to take the yoke the Lord offers. This is my yoke, my stole.

A lovely lady named Mary from Genesis Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas offered to make it for me after I taught a Sunday School class on the role of proclamation in the reformed confessions. When she made the offer, I had to choke back a tear and give her a very big hug.

There was one thing though, she wanted me to design it. I thought about it, and before long, it I decided that I wanted the stole to be green. Green is the liturgical color for the majority of the year, and I wanted to share this gift as often as possible.

The other elements were trickier. Then it came like a lightning bolt. I asked her to put on the viewer's left a font, and on the right a chalice. I wanted to display the vessels of the sacraments year 'round.

Because I wanted his feedback, I asked the Rev. Dr. Stan Hall, Parish Associate at Genesis and Professor of Worship and Liturgics at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, what he thought about the design. It made Stan smile.

The first time it was put upon me, during my ordination and installation service, there was great joy. I still wear it with Joy.

Today is Baptism of the Lord Sunday. Celebrate the day Christ chose the baptism of water not for his sake but for ours. Thanks to Mary for making the offer and the stole. Thanks to Stan for teaching me what to show the people of God in worship and on the yoke I bear.

Thanks be to God for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment