Thursday, January 22, 2009

Risky Business


When I was in college, I used to play a lot of Risk with my sister, my next-to-last-ex-brother-in-law, and some of their friends. We always used to play on my birthday because another member of the group, Kevin Kincaid, had his birthday on the day before mine.

Anyway, I was lousy, but if you're not playing it's really boring. So to play you attack and get attacked. I discovered a long time ago if you want to be in the action, the three regions to get into are Southern Europe, Egypt, and the Middle East. Anyone who secures these countries will be sure to play often because to get from one side of the world to the other, you had to go through these nations. There was no way around it.

I was just a 20 year old kid taking too many math and science classes-not enough history, theology, or literature classes; and a board game taught me an important lesson of politics. If you want to get attacked, this is the place to be because everyone is going through there.

Thank you Parker Brothers (a division of Hasbro) for teaching history to people who don't suspect a thing.

On another note, my sister told me that Kevin Kincaid died last week in Texas. About 50 years old and he died of a heart attack on a friend's front porch. God bless, K. May God bless your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment