Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Man I Don't Want To Be, Part II

The American General Election is less than a week away, we are in the home stretch which means one thing, we will soon be seeing ads for Christmas toys instead of politicians. (Insert rimshot here!)

As a Democrat, I was disappointed when Al Gore lost the election in 2000. Still, I didn't want to poo-poo George W. Bush just because he is a Republican. I didn't want to be that guy. I didn't want to be the uber-partisan who slammed the other guy because he was from the other party.

When W. made his speech from Ground Zero in NYC, I was proud of him. He was so presidential that day-and I had hope for his presidency. So when the Gulf War broke out, I wanted there to be WMD's. I wanted it badly! Alas, the mastermind of 9/11 is still alive and well; and our final justification for the war in Iraq is "Sadam is a bad man."

As true as "Sadam's badness "may be, it took a very slippery slope to make that justification for war. A war being fought years after Sadam's death. A slope that felt like a slide on a hot summer day wearing shorts...it burned going down and felt real uncomfortable after getting to the bottom.

I remember the '68 election from my "Weekly Reader" in the second grade. I am old enough to remember Watergate. Iran-Contra was my college years. Bill's trouser issues are familiar to all of us. Now once again in my life, I may have faith in the government, but little faith in the men who run it.

To heck with "values based voters," give me a "values based politician."

No comments:

Post a Comment