Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Really Did It This Time

I knew it would be one thing to put what I did on the church sign. What I didn't know is that it would make the local paper...

http://www.carrollconews.com/story/1469551.html

on the front page, but below the fold.

As you can see on the hyperlink, the caption writer says that the correct answer is $70 billion. But you know, I didn't ask for the "correct" answer. The concept of 10% goes back to Abram giving Melchizedek, the King of Salem, the priest of God Most High one-tenth of everything in Genesis 14. But that doesn't answer my question.

My question goes a little further, my question is not what is "correct" but about what is proper. What do we owe God, further, what do we as a people owe God. Psalm 24 begins "The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it; the world and those who live in it." We owe God everything. Everything. So what is proper? I think it's more than money.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that your post should be sent as a letter to the editor. The people of Berryville will be edified and learn something. Not a thing you see everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: You will become famous and your church a megachurch; then, the $700B will be a less abstract notion and you can deal with the problem as a practicle matter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for sending the letter to the editor, done and done. I emailed the comment to Anna at the paper just a few minutes ago.

    As for becoming a megachurch... boy, that may be the ultimate "beware what you wish for" prayer.

    Thank you and Praise God for your warm wishes and wonderful (and hilarious) comments, I appreciate you and them very much.

    ReplyDelete