Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sex Sells, as if you didn't all ready know that

A few weeks ago, I was at the orthopedic surgeon's office for my broken finger (getting better, thank you very much). He asked me if I had any questions for him, and I said, "Yeah, how come all drug rep's look like call girls?"

I got the reaction I expected, everyone laughed. The doctor laughed, the patient services coordinator laughed, my wife laughed. He told me I had a point and recommended I just enjoy the eye candy.

Based on my personal observation, this is true. I've never seen a drug company rep that couldn't take first runner-up in the Miss Home-Wrecker Pageant. (I wish that was original, but it's a Dan Jenkins line.) Dressed to the nine's, heels higher than Haight-Ashbury, curves tighter than the autobahn; you know a drug rep when you see one come into the doctor's office.

But, I suspect as with any job where looks seem to be everything (if these reps were chemistry or pre-med majors they didn't go to my college ), I suspect a hierarchy. I suspect the larger the sales area and the better the drug's profit margin, the hotter the representative. I also suspect this correlation is directly proportional, smaller towns, cheaper drugs, the less sexually alluring representatives.

You may think me sarcastic, you may think me sexist or at least "appearance oriented," and you may well be. But before you judge me, I ask you to consider this hypothesis the next time you see a drug rep at the doctor's office, especially an OB-GYN sales rep.

3 comments:

  1. I have made Doctor appointments for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully, there will be something wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I have to say is that I hate that John beat me to that line.. but I, too, have made doctor appointments (even at the OB-GYN's office)... I hope they don't find anything wrong with me...

    ReplyDelete