Saturday, October 4, 2008

That's Entertainment!

Marie's birthday is coming up in two weeks, so tonight I took her to hear John Michael Talbot. Talbot is the long ago guitar player for Mason Proffit and for the last twenty-some years General Minister and Spiritual Father of the Little Portion Hermitage in Eureka Springs. More on this in another post.

Anywhoo, I saw a dear friend at the performance who told me he would be missing John Michael's show because of another performance by a local choir. His friend who was performing gave him permission to miss the show and my friend was relieved, especially when he discovered the second act of the choir's show was going to be the music of Karen Carpenter.

Au contraire, mon frere, Carpenter bashing is like shooting fish in a barrel. But if you have never heard the music of The Carpenters sung by 1990's Alternative Rock bands, you've never heard the music of The Carpenters. Seriously. I particularly offer you "It's Going to Take Some Time" by Dishwalla. If you ever wondered if The Carpenters can rock, I say "Oh my yes!" And this band from Santa Barbara shows us how.

1 comment:

  1. If shooting the Carpenters is like shooting a fish in a barrel then I say that is too good for the fish. Anywhooo yerself, we had (also?) a GREAT time at the Talbot concert. He reminds me of Leo Kotke who you can see on YouTube--of course.

    ReplyDelete