Monday, October 6, 2008

Mostly Sports Related Garbage

First of all, I was listening to the Razorback game on the radio on Saturday and the announcers made the 38-7 spanking by Florida sound like a moral victory. On Sunday, I listened to the end of the Cowboys game and the announcers made their 31-22 win sound like Napolean at Waterloo.

  • Expectations of sports fans and the hyperbole of sports broadcasters are among the most deluded things on earth.

Next random thought, I enjoy reading Jason Whitlock. Whitlock writes sports columns principally for the Kansas City Star, but his stuff has also posted on AOL, ESPN, and currently on FoxSports. His bio blurb says, "he has won the National Journalism Award for Commentary for 'his ability to seamlessly integrate sports and social commentary and to challenge widely held assumptions along the racial divide.'"

In his October 2 column , what he says about former Michigan State Spartan and Green Bay Packer Tony Mandarich is outrageous and outrageously funny. I recommend it highly.

  • Warning! Don't expect to agree with everything he writes, based on his reader comments more people think he is a fat jerk than think he is a sage.

Finally, the Gospel reading from the Revised Common Lectionary for Sunday October 12 is Matthew 22:1-14, "The Parable of the King Who Gave a Wedding Banquet for his Son." The church is called "The Bride of Christ." While reading this passage, and given our sin soaked world, the phrase that rolled around my head was "The Bridezilla of Christ."

  • God bless us every one!

Photo from FoxSports.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that it is my sinful nature that causes me tot ake pleasure in Razorback losses. I suppose that being a Minnesota Gophers fan has something to do with it since Big 10 athletes have to read and write while the Arkansas are not handicapped so unfairly. But no. It is just sin: I am a bad person for enjoying the failure of others.

    On the other hand, what is my sin compared to "Bridezilla of Christ"?

    ReplyDelete