Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Provocative Question

This week's gospel reading from the Revised Common Lectionary is Matthew 22:15-22, ending with "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's." So given current events, as of today, I have actually decided to title this Sunday's sermon...


This may be a snarky way of asking, but it is a valid question, particularly in the light of this reading from Matthew it is a question the church should ask.

As the church we have to ask, what is the role of the government in protecting the people, particularly the poor and disenfranchised?

What is the role of the government in protecting the economy?

And perhaps most important, what is the role of a government bailout for banks, insurances, and other businesses?

These are among the questions I get to play with between now and Sunday, and believe me, if I didn't feel called to preach this sermon I would not touch this dog with a ten foot pole.

Oh, on a special note, in the first draft the first 500 words (my sermons usually run 2,000 words) is the caveat saying I am not telling you how to vote.

This is important, because while I am not going to tell anyone how to vote, please, I beg, get informed and vote. This is one of the elements of the end of the sermon message. Scripture and the confessions tell us that it is God who ordains governments, not the other way around. So this is a word to the church. If you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

May this message become a good word.

1 comment:

  1. When I got home last night I was delighted to see your sign on the front page of the local shopper--and I am edified by your essay below--which I forward to some pals. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete