Friday, November 21, 2008

This Just In!

Last night, I was flying through the channels and I noticed that the "Big Three" news channels, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC all had at the bottom of the screen a tab that said "BREAKING NEWS." Then on each network, the crawl under the tab had a different story. Can they all be breaking news?

I wonder if America hasn't become a nation of "urgency junkies." Everything has to be a disaster to get our attention. As for me, the opposite is now true. So much stuff on the news is "breaking" that now, I just gloss right over it.

And often when I do pay attention, I find that what is urgent is just an ad for what will be on the news magazine show later. It's not news, it's a teaser to get me to keep watching.

So what stories were they trumpettng last night? I have no idea. I watched "Dodgeball" on FX. Give me a funny movie over a shill any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment