Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Review of "The Shack"

I have just (I mean about two hours ago) finished reading "The Shack" by William Young. To answer the question "Did I like it?" will betray one of the concepts of the book. The book tells the reader that people make things far more complicated than God intended, and I agree. But there are several elements I want to review so I will make it complicated. With that, let's go--

As a theologian, I actually liked what the book accomplished as a theology primer. If you have read any other review, you will know that there is a thread of trinitarian theology throughout it. As I was reading it I was thinking to myself, "ooh, there's a great example of perichorisis," and "now that's a cool way to look at the economic trinity," and "there's the great look at the immanence/transcendence of God." In that regard, it is a very interesting and evocative view of trinitarian theology. It's not complete, and I wouldn't recommend citing it while writing ordination exams, but as a place to start, I liked it.

I also give Young credit for tackling some very difficult concepts of physical representation of the Trinity and modalism. This could not have been easy, and so cudos for even trying. I believe he succeeded in this as well as anybody can given the milieu of the novel and limits of language.

But being a jaded man, as literature, I think the novel was simply average. There was a tone of emotional manipulation that left me uncomfortable throughout my reading. The front cover of my trade paperback version tells me "The Shack" is our generation's "Pilgrim's Progress." The back cover tells me that the author "suffered a great loss as a child and young adult" without telling the reader the nature of the "loss." The novel itself is anchored by A Great Sadness with those words in italics throughout the text.

By the time I got to the 4th chapter, titled A Great Sadness, I felt as if I was being dragged through an emotional muck, much of which was supported not by the text of the novel. The most grieveous example being the author's use of literary devices including a "Foreword" and "After Words" which were not the notes of the author but of the narrator. As a writer friend of mine once wrote, this is the difference between the "author" and the "authorial I." My friend recognizes and revels in the device, blowing out the fourth wall (itself a device). Young seems to use it to manipulate the reader.

Further, the package itself invites the reader to get more copies for friends and book groups and tells of the windblown Media Group's difficulty in finding a publisher and their subsequent efforts to get "The Shack" made into a movie. I don't think Bunyon had to resort to that in the first printing of "Pilgrim's Progress." Add to that info about the book's tangent projects found on the fiinal leaves and I wonder if the popularity of this novel is the phenomenon the publisher will have you believe or if this is the best marketed Christian book of the past ten years.

All in all, it is a page turner, it is entertaining, and it is very moving. I laughed, I cried, yet I felt manipulated by the author more than moved by the characters. There is a theological value to the work which makes this a great youth study, women's group book, or even a supplemental text for a high school theology class. It is a good place to start, but it should by no means be the end all of theological instruction or relationship development.

cover photo taken from amazon.com

One more note, as I say I am jaded, this is more to my woe than an insult toward people who really like the book. Still, it is my bias, my jading and my blog.

6 comments:

  1. Paul, I have to agree. I liked the book, but there was a lot of emotional manipulation going on. I was fascinated by the Trinitarian image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book yet--but will now put it on my list. One question, tho: what is the difference between art(iface) and manipulation? I think of Topsey running across ice floes, Scarlet vowing "another day" and Tom Joad's final speech at the end of Wrath.

    Anyway, as a beginning Protestant, I am eager to find out what all the fuss is about.

    And, as a book reviewer: Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I would like a better answer than this one, but here it goes. Art is genuine where manipulation tries to be genuine. There is an emotion to art that manipulation tries to manufacture.

    Manipulation comes from techniques where art comes from character and conflict. Manipulation can be technically flawless but without the soul art embodies.

    Saying that, yes, I did care about Young's characters, but the situations and the responses seemed contrived toward achieving a goal in a mechanical way.

    Maybe for me "art is" where "manipulation tries." Of course as the old saying goes, I don't know what art is, but I know it when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. somebody (remember him?) once said that "art is a farce and great art is a successful farce."

    Obviously, I don't agree with that but...as Chesterton said, "anything worth doing is worth doing badly." GKC was saying that we ought to do our own dancing and game playing etc., ratehr than depending on professionals. Maybe the question about "manipulation" in the case of the Shack is whether or not the author intended to manipulate or is simply not much of a writer and fell short in some ways. But: I have not read the book! Anyway, I like how you have ciphered it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you attached intentionality to manipulation. I like it very much. Whether the author "intended" to create what I consider to be manipulation is the question--and I imagine readers will have to answer that for themselves. And I imagine other readers will not agree with me. (Good for you! Don't check your minds at the door!)

    Now for the but...But, I know several "manipulation" stories from college of guys I knew who gave a style of emotional abuse that at one time I thought was intentional. Later I learned it was just how they learned to deal with others and cope with emotion and relationships. Nothing intentional--no overt or covert operations--but still emotionally manipulative and abusive.

    This has nothing to do with "The Shack," but I do want to add that as far as manipulative behavior goes, not all of it is intentional. What it is though is sin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, that is a fine comment and a fair assessment of the whole manipulation fandango. I am so long removed from college that I don't remember it very well--but I have been in other venues where your description fits hand to glove.

    ReplyDelete