Monday, December 8, 2008

Tales of Mystery and Imagination

Today, I sent this email to an Editor at Westminster/John Knox Press:

While I suspect someone else has brought this to the Editor's attention, I want to point out an error I found in "The Collected Sermons of William Sloane Coffin" Vol. 1.

On page 217, citing John 8:11, my copy reads "...'Neither do I condemn you; go and sin more.'" Within the text of the sermon that follows the references to this verse cite it properly.

As you can imagine, it caught my attention...and my imagination.

In Christ,Rev. Paul A. Andresen
First Presbyterian, Berryville, Arkansas

When I read it the first time, I thought Coffin might have been going for one of those "gotcha" twists. I love a good twist, and that one got me paying attention. In the end it turned out to be an error instead of a "gotcha." Oh well, mistakes happen--I make enough of them to be sure of that much.

Still...imagine if you will...

1 comment:

  1. I have ordered this book just now. It should arrive about the time I finish the Ruth you loaned me and I am eager to assure myself that what you saw as an error is in fact an error. One never knows, do one?

    ReplyDelete