Friday, December 26, 2008

On Being Somewhat Snobish

I'm embarassed. I can be something of a snob sometimes. For example, I love good beer. My personal favorite is Aass Pilsner from Norway. I haven't had a bottle in years, still I fondly remember it. I have recently taken to Shiner Bock after living in Texas for three years. The offshoot- I get a little snobby over a Bud. I like Miller Lite, I was weened on Miller Lite, I will still order Miller Lite, but I'd rather have an Aass or maybe even a Chimay when looking at the ales.

I came by this after working in bars that specialized in imported beers for over four years. I had to know the product so I could talk about it and recommend one when asked. So I have opinions and was paid to give them. Still, I could become snobbish when need be.

I also get a little elitist in entertainment. I get distracted when works get derivitave over three generations. Example: The Producers. Who cared about the musical movie? It almost sort of came from the Broadway show. But of course, who remembers the original movie? Gene Wilder! Zero Mostel! Peter Boyle! This is great stuff and just got dilluted. It makes "Young Frankenstien The Musical" seem five times removed from the original. Yuck.

Of course, Marie made me watch Momma Mia! the other night, and I enjoyed it. How derivative can that get! A movie based on a Broadway show based on 22 ABBA songs! That should be right in my snob wheelhouse, but I did enjoy it. It was like cotton candy and that's not everyone's taste, but so be it. I couldn't eat it everyday, but I enjoyed the fluff.

Ah, personal hypocracy exposed. But I want some credit for blowing the whistle on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment