Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Truth in Advertising...For What It's Worth

I just saw an ad for the new "Budweiser American Ale." They touted it as a "top fermented ale." Big deal all ales are top fermented! That's a part of the definition of an ale.

That's like saying you like dawn because that's when the sun comes up.

As far as advertising goes, this is completely true and utterly meaningless.

As a former bar manager (Buzzard Beach, Westport, Kansas City, Missouri, USA), let me recommend a couple of beers:

Pilsner: Aass Pilsner (pron. Ouse), Norway. There are about 27 places in America you can find this stuff. They also make a superior bock and Christmas ale. For a wider distribution, check out the original, Pilsner Urquell.

Ale: Chimay-Brewed by the Trappist Monks of Chimay Abbey. When I worked the bar, I would always say "If I were poor, celebate, and European I'd be making this stuff. Instead, since I was poor, celebate, and American I'm selling it." Start with the red label, try them all.

photo from Beer.About.com

No comments:

Post a Comment