Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Support Your Local Bodega

Today, for the first time in months, I went into my local bodega, the Mini Mercado on East Church in Berryville, Arkansas. If you've never been into a small neighborhood Mexican grocery store, you're missing out.

Living in Colorado, Texas, and Arkansas, I have become familiar with goods that I never imagined ever seeing in my oh so lilly-white suburban life. It's a whole new world to the gringo and it's wonderful.

Fresher tortillas, chorizo (Mexican sausage) and the sweetest soda in the world. I took a panilla and a jarittos back to the office after lunch and never looked back.

In Austin, there was a huge market called Fiesta. There you could get not just chicarrones, you could get and entire side of chicarrones. I mean not nuggets or shreds of fried pig skin, you could get an entire half a skin. It's a whole new world.

So get out there and see the world, it's right in your own back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment