Saturday, December 27, 2008

Point of Inspiration

A couple of days ago, I blogged about Rick Reilly's piece on the oddest game in high school football history. This is the kind of story you want to share, so I did, I put it on this blog with a link to the rest of the story.

Well, I was getting no where fast on Sunday's sermon. The gospel reading is Luke 2:22-40-the presentation of Jesus at the temple with the stories of Simeon and Anna.

Well, these two things came together. I could just imagine people reading Reilly's piece thinking "now I've seen everything." Then suddenly, I had the epiphany that Simeon told the Lord it was time for him to go because after seeing the baby Jesus, the Lord's Messiah, he had seen everything.

Hence, a sermon is born titled "Now I've Seen Everything." The difference is that while Simeon was ready to die because he had seen everything, we are called to continue taking God’s light into the world. We are called to live as the continuing light of God’s revelation.

Let us bring the light that shines for 2,000 years into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment