Monday, December 1, 2008

Here Comes Santa Cross

I found this little ditty at HomileticsOnline.com, where they report it qualifies as an urban legend. Still, I thought it deserved a hearing:

In the 1960's, Tokyo's largest department store decided to have its first-ever Christmas display. On the first day of Advent, the management called in the VIP's of the city's British colony for an unveiling. The nonpulsed bigwigs were confronted by the biggest Santa they had ever seen... nailed to a cross.

What makes me think this is an urban legend, frankly, I have no idea what is meant by "Tokyo's British colony." This seems odd and puts it in question for me. Then we can mention the outright absurdity of the whole thing. Sing with me, Here comes Santa Cross, Here Comes Santa Cross....

But regardless of the truth, is there greater Truth in this? In my thinking, one of two things is happening:

  1. People with absolutely no concept of either Christianity or Western Culture bungled this thing to a degree that deserves applause (or a Monty Python skit), or
  2. The people who created this thing were doing social commentary (whether intentional or not) that should make none of us comfortable.

I couldn't tell you, and if it's an urban legend then it's just academic. These two options are where I start. But when Marie read this to me today, I took a look at our culture and see what we have done with the holiday season and wonder if this story isn't a funhouse mirror reflection.

Our local Wal-Mart (did you know I lived in Arkansas, USA?) cleaned out the Halloween stuff at midnight on November 1st and started putting up Christmas. Chirstmas cookies hit the shelves the moment the pumpkin pies were sold out at Thanksgiving. To me this story shows a picture (caricature?) of what Christmas in the West has become, a mix of the religion and secular symbols which ultimately point to places we don't really want to go.

Santa on the cross is sick, but the consumer economy and culture in this country seems to be unconsciously comfortable with this image.

1 comment:

  1. This is a pretty old story. I heard it first in 1971 when I was attending Sophia University (a Jesuit college) in Tokyo. It could possibly be true; the Japanese are among the most maladroit folks on earth--and so great is their desire to please visitors they might go to such a tacky end without the slightest hesitation.

    ReplyDelete