Friday, December 12, 2008

Insights on John 1:6-8, 19-28

For those of you who wonder why I choose what I do for my "Insights on..." blogs it is because it is the Revised Common Lectionary reading I will be preaching the next Sunday.

This is the Gospel of John version of John the Baptist's introduction. But there are some very odd things about it:
  1. John is "just John." Not "the baptist," not "the revelator," not even "the beloved disciple." He is "just John."
  2. There is no mention of Jesus (this for the second week in a row in the Lectionary).
  3. None of the information about John found in the other gospels is in this account.
  4. When the priests and the Levites ask him questions he doesn't give a straight answer. I mean he is way out in right field on this stuff.

To me, what this challenges us to do is read not just this story, but all of scripture, taking off the lenses of our preconceived notions. This isn't easy, but pehaps the place to start is by walking in the sandals of the priests and the Levites; be confused-and pay close attention.

It's tough. Listening with fresh ears is never easy, but it is worth the time and energy.

1 comment:

  1. Being confused, but paying close attention, is my motto (and way of life). I'll take this Gospel up tonight...but am already sure that I will remain confused...

    Ps: getting through Ruth. I'm not sure I'm buying it. (insert smiley face).

    ReplyDelete